In this post we’ll take a look at the Caduceus staff. We’ll explore where it came from, what it means for you as a Wiccan (or Pagan) and how to use it in your daily life.
Apollo and Hermes
Hermes was a greek god (also known as Mercury for the romans).
The legend goes that he stole Apollo’s cattle when he was a small child. However, charming as he (Hermes) was, he eventually made peace with Apollo and exchanged his lyre with Apollo’s staff.
Hermes and his staff is a symbol of good luck, trade, luck in gambling and a messenger of the gods.
Symbolism Of The Staff
The Caduceus staff holds a lot more symbolism to is than you first see. When you take a closer look, you can see that this is a very powerful symbol.
- The staff is all about the connection between humans and gods.
- The staff itself represents the earth element and our living body (think of the staff as your spine). The staff is also a masculine symbol.
- The two snakes defies gravity and makes their way up the staff, symbolizes power and the struggle to reach a higher spiritual level.
- The wings symbolize the air element, our spiritual self and the connection with our gods.
- Finally, the round ball on top is a representation of how your physical self connects with your spiritual self. The circle is a feminine symbol and also represents your pineal gland and your higher self.
In a way, the Caduceus Staff represents the essence of your spirits connection with your physical body.
The Caduceus Staff and Wiccans:
As a Wiccan, you can use the staff in rituals, spells and offerings.
You can also just wear a Caduceus pendant when you need extra luck and a better connection with gods and you higher self.
It is also a known symbol to help ward off sickness.
Here's how to use the Caduceus Staff it in your practice:
- You can use a Caduceus Staff Pendant in spells and rituals.
- Include it to help communicate with the gods and get your message/intention out into the universe.
- For good luck and health spells it's a must have.
You can get your own Caduceus Staff with birthstones here!
Leave a comment
Also in News
Samhain may be the busiest day to connect with our ancestors, but you need not wait until then to talk to them!
The whole exercise is counter-productive. And all that happens is the pagan develops a deep-rooted animosity toward Christianity, and the Christian develops a deep-rooted animosity toward paganism. And this can cause all sorts of problems when the two parties are co-workers, or family members, or otherwise must deal with each other on a regular basis.
What should the would-be faithful look for before forming a loyalty to any spiritual path? The most important test is whether or not the doctrine speaks to you, makes sense to you, and feels right to you. The soul knows itself; therefore the selection of faith is more a matter of instinct than logic. Unfortunately, those who are most often trapped by cults have lost touch with their instinct. Their minds have been twisted by the illogical logic of their charismatic leaders. So, we must itemize for the logical mind the warnings and signs to open up the instinctive mind to the truth.