A handfasting ceremony is what makes an engagement for Pagans and Wiccans. The handfasting goes back to the time of the Celtics when two people declare a binding union to each other for exactly a year and a day. It was considered a trial marriage where two people test out if they can actually survive an actual marriage to each other, but nowadays, a handfasting has become a part of the wedding ceremony of modern pagans.
It is a very magickal time and although it is hard to get it wrong, there ways to make it extra special and extra romantic. Here are some tips to take your handfasting ceremony to the next level:
Plan way ahead
Hold it outdoors
This is also another reason why handfasting ceremonies are best done outdoors. Forming a circle indoors feels kind of stifling and forming a circle means needing a bigger and much freer space. Everyone you invite to your handfasting should be a part of the circle.
Write your own vows
To be my life partner,
To walk, run, and dance this new path together,
To love, care and share,
To let the winds dance between us,
Let the fires burn within us,
And the waters flow through us,
On our sacred journey together.
On this day may a new consciousness begin,
On this day I thee wed,
With my hearts' faithful affections,
And my love to you forever.”
- Red: strength and courage, good health, prosperity, and longevity.
- Orange : open hearts, sensitivity and understanding.
- Yellow : enthusiasm, spontaneity and equality.
- Green : compassion, affection and caring.
- Light Blue : sincerity, easy self expression and honest communication.
- Purple : clear vision and wisdom, peace and harmony in all ways.
- Gold : unity, divine blessing and presence.
The Witch's Way T-Shirt from The Moonlight Shop